Sunday, October 19, 2008

Saturday Chores

The day started early. Cubbee dog has decided to wake me at 6:30 with her barking. Arrived at church at 9:00 to set up for the luncheon for tomorrow. Almost Dorothy arrives at 10:00, and we finish for the day at 2:30. Mr. Kitchen Committee Chairman whirlwinds through for about 10 minutes and is gone. He has brought in some supplies for the luncheon. Back home, I waited for The Boy to bring over his stuff and shelves, I did get in a really short nap and dinner. Thanks for the calls as I napped! How do you all know when I take naps?? The boy didn't show, but George decided to check out the Have a Heart trap. Since the car is full of tubbes (for the luncheon supplies to be brought back home) I couldn't/didn't want to take George for a ride. I did spend time with George. I am clearing/cleaning a path to an old cabinet that Daughter #2 wants. The treasures I found in and on the cabinet! Old pictures, the wedding album (not filled in), wedding receipts, tubular records for the phonograph and I am not done yet!

Hint to the Church Kitchen Committee: Set up tables the day before a lunch or dinner! This way you know what items are still needed and you have time to get them! Mr. Kitchen Committee Chairman did bring in some supplies. Let us look at these supplies:
1) Plastic Table coverings for 11 tables. We use 12 tables for guests, plus cover two tables for drinks. Now, I would like to use cloth, but these people are way to messy to use cloth! Now I do find $1 per yard fabric for the main food table, bread and salad tables. ( I need to rewash all these fabrics because we now have butter, salad dressing, soup and cheese all over the fabric.)
2) When the theme calls for fall decor, don't buy small plates for the dessert with multi-colored balloons on them. I don't care how cheap they are, balloons just don't go with fall leaves!
3) How many salad dressings are really needed? Even good restaurants limit their choice of dressings!
4) When serving coffee buy enough cups! The guest count was 88 (including small children), but cup count was 50!

Other gripes: 1) When setting up for 13 crock pots and two regular pots, why do I always bring the single burners, power strips and extension cords? If the need is there, why not purchase some and have them in the pantry?
2) Why isn't the pantry always stocked for these luncheons? A huge purchase of supplies is done for the Fish Fry's, but not for the other dinners?? True, the Fish Fry's are money makers, but use some of that money for luncheons!!
3) Why isn't a menu posted? Almost Dorothy and I found out that an extra dessert was going to be brought (After we set up for only one type of dessert!). Also, I would not have to call before set up to find out if a bread table was needed. Of course this all goes to the fact we don't communicate who is bringing what, who is cooking what and who is doing this and that!
4) Shouldn't the Kitchen Committee chairperson (or who ever is in charge) help set up and clean up? Mr. Kitchen Committee Chairperson (who scheduled this luncheon) had to leave before the clean up was finished.

So now I need to unpack the car, wash the fabric and put away (in an organized fashion) everything I took down to the church.

At least there are some people that do appreciate the nice things that are NOW being done to make these luncheons so much better than in the past!

No comments: