Wednesday, September 17, 2008

One of the 600,00 Plus

Yes we were one of the 600,000 plus without power since Sunday afternoon. Power came back on this morning at 6:25.

Winds from Ike came through at 75 mile per hour! We stood on the deck watching the wind blow the trees around and blowing off shingles and siding. If we were smarter, we would have been inside watching, but it is more fun standing outside and dodging debris.

As most of you know, I always have backup! Yes, we campers have the camping stove, coolers, battery radio and lots of flashlights. We did have hot water, as the water heater is gas. Making coffee was a bit tricky, but we figured that out right away!

Since we had no power, we iced down The Old Man's beer first. I got the Old Man to go out for a hot steak and a cold beer. We went down to the steak place (it was open with power), only to hear that it would be a TWO hour wait! The Old Man decided he could go home and cook a steak on the grill, while drinking his beer, and be done in two hours. So, no we didn't stay. See, we never go out for dinner!

I did have to make a trip to Wally World, and wasn't that an eye opener! I had to get roof tar and a caulking gun. While I was there I purchased some fabric, to make racing flags for the church dinner, and of course Ice. It was interesting to see people that didn't know how, or what to shop for during a power outage.

The Old Man went to work (he got to charge his cell phone by using the charger I had purchased a while back) only to find they didn't have power either. So he put in for vacation. Then came home and cooked breakfast, and started working on Daughter #3's car. This worked out VERY well, as the car was put back together and started yesterday! Daughter has her car back and SO DO I!!!!!

While I was at the auto store (yesterday getting the last part needed) I asked the guy if I could borrow some of their racing/auto displays for the church event. He said he would check, perhaps they had some cleaner/better stuff in the back I could just have! I need to call him back on Saturday.

On the neighborhood drama, I can get my licks in! 1) There is an old couple down the street that has a wedding anniversary in early September. While working on the car, I saw the old guy getting his mail (we are about 50 feet from the mailbox). So, I yelled up to him and wished him a happy anniversary. Miss New York was out cleaning up her yard. I asked the old guy how many years, and he replied 52 great years. I yelled back that we were going to be celebrating 30 years soon. I am sure that Miss New York could hear. You see, Miss New York and her husband got a divorce a couple of years ago because he was cheating on her. Ha!
2) Yesterday, Daughter #3 was here to get her car, the Boy was here to get his packages, and the grandkids were here. We were all outside (dogs too) and the Boy started to take the Old Dog for a walk. The granddaughter wanted in on walking the Old Dog, and she took over walking the dog.
Miss New York had said something, during her blah blah blah, about "your the one with a vicious dog". Hope she saw a 4 year old walking the "vicious dog"!!! Ha Ha!!!

Since car repair was done during the day light hours, flag making was not going as fast. So.. best go and make those flags!

And have a nice day!

No comments: