It started this way: A road trip to Pittsburgh for a funeral. The funeral was for a guy The Old Man had worked with back in 1985-1994. Railroad guys are like family or a large circle of friends that never really part, they just take a different track in life.
So I wasn't going to pack the suitcases until I knew we had a room to stay in. Saturday morning, The Old Man does his "you Bid" thing, and now we have a room. He goes to work and I start over packing for the trip. Since I was in a frenzy, and I didn't have the last cup of coffee, I did not turn off the coffee pot. (Half way to Columbus, I called the two kids that live close and one that will call the other two.) It got turned off.
We checked in, being told our room had a queen bed and a walk in shower (no tub). Surprise! We had a king and a tub!
Now we were in kid of early, and some people would go down to the bar & grill for a late dinner and drink. Not us. Brought our beer/soda and plenty of munchies.
Sunday: Breakfast buffet, check out at noon, viewing at 3. So what does one do in New Kensington PA from noon to 3:00 ?? We found the funeral home and then drove around. And then it hit me....
We were in PA !! Tastykakes!!!!
We found the local store and the end cap with the Tastykakes. Now the box of little donuts did have a Valentine's theme (picked up two boxes) and this is how the conversation went:
Old Man: "How long do they last?"
Me: "They don't last, we eat them." pause.. "I don't see an expiration date, guess they last forever if you don't eat them."
Continuing our shopping trip, The Old Man checked our prices here and there and really checked out the meat section. New York Strip steak: $3.99 per pound in bulk or $5.99 per pound two to a pack cut semi-thin. The Old Man picked up the bulk pack and the meat cutter's helper asked if he wanted it cut 3.4 inch pieces (AND at no charge! And Same $3.99 per pound! YES! Then The Old Man looked at the chicken prices, and bought some!
He also picked out some munchies for himself ( a brand we can get here, but hey why not)
Covering the meat with blankets, we make a "cooler". (Yes, we carry blankets in the car)
Went to the funeral and headed home.
Good trip... and Tastykakes!
.
Mothers Day
12 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment