Thursday, March 04, 2010

The Lent Season Has Started

The season has started, so you know what that means.. Fish Fry Fridays for 7 weeks! Yes, I am putting nice things on the tables to make the gym look warmer and friendly. And yes, I am working the desert table. Yes, if the pie is Bright yellow it is lemon, if it looks like it has coconut in it.. it does.
I can only identify chocolate cake and white cake... after that we will call things "Heavenly desert," "Angel bites" or "I don't know cake."

Now this is a Fundraiser for the church and I can see giving a dinner or desert away (if we have them) to "a person of need" or one of our home bound members. But.. there is a man and his wife that show up that is just weirding me ( and others) out. This couple has been helped (food and funds) in the past. Although they do NOT attend the FREE Thanksgiving meal, they show up every Friday for the Fish Fry. The first friday, we were running out of cakes, but the man tried to sneak a few extra pieces while I was away from the table. He scurried away when he saw me approach. This past friday, he kept watching me to see if I would walk away from the table. I mean... he was constantly watching! So... I sort of watched him. When he did approach, he said the little Rolly Polely guy told him he could have extra and then went for 4 (FOUR!!) extra deserts. I had several members watching all of this going on and it gave them free entertainment for the evening. He worked both kitchen windows to get lots of free meals, put them into his insulated bags (yes.. more than one) that he brought from home and even filled his thermos with kool-aid! I must say he has moxie! All of this came up in a meeting, and the Little Rolly Polely guy will be addressing the problem. Can't wait til Friday!

No comments: