Thursday, November 20, 2008

Why ?

Last evening we had the "We Care Dinner," a free Thanksgiving dinner, for the community.

Miss Princess and Shorty had to come with me to set up. Miss Princess was being great by keeping an eye on Shorty and helping take things to the tables. Shorty was being good about keeping out of the way and playing in the nursery room. In other words, I had less problems with the 4 year old and 18 month old than I did with the Kitchen help over the age of 40.

Why can't I seem to "play well with others"? And why can't some of those over 40 use the brain they were given?

It started a few days ago, when I spent 4 hours cleaning and arranging the church pantry.
I added signs to where things were to go, a shopping list, and signs (stars plus the word NEED ) that showed what was needed to be purchased (sort of a visual YOU NEED THIS ITEM!!) One item was Coffee Cups, it had a star and was on the shopping list. Had anyone looked at the list or the shelf to see what was needed?? Nope.

We get to the church and Miss Princess helps take in items from the car. Instantly one of the guys putting up tables asks me were I want the tables. Now we are under the gun to set up and not that many workers to get the job done in time. How many of these dinners have they set up for?? Community dinners are always set up the same way, only church luncheons are set up differently. For special luncheons, I go in early or the previous day, to set up tables and place things.

Anyway, there is one lady there that really urks me and I do try my best to stay away from her. We shall refer to her as Miss Repugnant, which also does describe her as she is short and round like an old Pug dog. She takes time out from her chit chat to walk around and add to the tables small foam bowls of some kind of cranberry topping. Does she soon appear with spoons for the bowls?? No, she goes back to the kitchen and has a cup of coffee and chats with other workers. Twenty minutes later, I said something to her , very disrespectful, and have Miss Princess put spoons into the bowls. At least when Miss Repugnant decided to finally put out the butter in bowls, she did add knives. I am sure someone had to tell her to do it, cause she needs to be micromanaged every minute.

One of my problems (boy do I have many) is seeing all the jobs that need to be done setting up for these dinners and I can't do them all. I have in the past asked (NICELY) Miss Repugnant to help, but she looks at me with a glazed over look and walks away. Respect is a two way street???
Then there is setting up in a proper manner. Why would anyone serve the cranberry stuff in flimsy foam bowls that break when you don't pick them up with two hands (as you see the stuff spilled all over the tables!). And if the cooler for ice has wheels, why drag the thing across the newly refinished gym floor, leaving a huge scratch mark?

An some ask why I use sticky notes for special luncheons. At least the sticky notes answer where this or that go without having to ask me.

Just being crabby. Hope your day is better and my prayers for patience might one day be answered (without sticky notes).

No comments: