Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Doors and Furniture

Shorty and Max are down for their morning naps, the turkey for the church community dinner is in the oven, the coffee is hot and I have a few minutes.

An open floor plan is nice. The heat from the gas stove can travel into the connecting rooms. You can see what the little dog is chewing on and what Shorty is getting into. But, isn't it nice to have doors on rooms that Shorty and Max should NOT get into?

Now several thoughts on furniture. Way back when we started "setting up housekeeping" ( a long lost term Gracie May used), we had hand me downs, yard sale items and one new sofa as a wedding present. All the furniture was moved to houses number 2, 3, and 4. Along the way, some additional furniture items were designed and hand made by The Old Man.

All in all, this has saved us money over the years. Yes, some upholstered chairs were purchased to correspond the sofa and for comfort. Deck furniture, dinning set, a book case, tv stand, and a mattress set have been added over the years. Let us not forget the items purchased from auctions. Some were good finds!

Please note: I was not consulted on Design of the hand made furniture nor the purchase of the chairs and mattress set. I was sort of consulted on the dining table and chairs, as they were the only style on the truck. ( A furniture truck used to come through the neighborhood once a year selling stuff.)

Guess I am jealous of all of those that can pick out new furniture that matches, goes with their own style and can say "No thank you" to ugly hand me downs. (I do want to say thank you to those of you that have taken my hand me downs.)

For those of you that have asked The Old Man to build shelves, end tables, sofa tables (I have not forgotten you dear) and other things: You will have to wait a bit longer. I am still waiting for the old bookcase to be repaired and matching nightstands (so I can get rid of the hand me downs end tables that I am using).

Maybe I should just go out and by a new bed (mattress and headboard). If I had better sleep, maybe I would be more positive? Oh, Wait! Who are we kidding??

1 comment:

Elaine VanDRiver said...

As a member of Generation Instant Gratification, I am one of those who goes out and buys new stuff. While I have been fortunate to get a few really nice hand-me-downs most of my stuff has been recently purchased. It is nice to be a DINK every now and again, but I'd sell it all for the promise of a child.