Saturday, June 08, 2013

Reconnecting ?

Before I left for Florida, I contacted a long lost cousin to see if he was up for a meet and greet. No one had seen him for 40 years. Seeing him on a social website and that he had two daughters, I contacted him. His response was positive adding that he had two daughters and five grandchildren. He also suggested I contact his sister (the one that fell off the face of the  earth and doesn't reply to emails).

So I called him on Wednesday to set up a visit for Friday. During the call, I must have had strange facial expressions, or perhaps my tone because The Old Man could tell I wasn't up for any meet and greet. Once I explained we were down there to work on a house, the Cousin wanted to know if we knew anything about fixing a well pump. He went into great detail about the noise it was making and how it wasn't working correctly. He did explain how he had lived in his house for 24 years (wouldn't he have had problems in that 24 years and know how to fix or who to call??) Anyway, I was sorry to hear that he had been laid off  (or are we talking fired?) for two years, he was behind in his mortgage for nine months and about to be foreclosed on. Seems he did have a job, but after visiting the VA doctor, he has some health problems and was told to stop working that job. (Disability?) He stated that after surgery, there would be a 6-8 week recovery (we know this is only a few day recovery).

He never asked about the other family, so I just let him know where they were and what some were doing now. He seemed interested, but always went back to his poor situation. I set up the meet at his house, after the dinner hour (we didn't have enough food to put on a dinner, and didn't sound like he had it either) on Friday. Well, Friday came and so did the painters. We had not expected the painters in our Friday schedule, so we had to work around and after them.

I called the Cousin to let him know we were behind on our work schedule and would not be able to make the meet.

Sorry, but after 40 years, he is still odd.

No comments: